Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Tues April 12, 2011 4PM

Just spoke with Ed as he was returning from dialysis. He was tired and groggy but much more aware than when I spoke with him yesterday. We had a reasonable 10 minute conversation with him keeping up until he was becoming tired so I told him to go back to sleep.
He said he was suffering from back pain, which was the original problem which led to the administration of the vancomycin, but is also listed as a side effect of the renal failure. Don't know which he's experiencing now. He is sleeping without medication which is very good. The Drs are trying not to give him meds while the kidneys are healing.

4 comments:

  1. Alertness and sleep are encouraging! I hope he continues to improve.

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds better than the last several days...thanks for posting Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I talked to him around 3:30PM. He had a little difficulty understanding me, so I tried to keep it simple. He was rather contrite.

    Jeanne reported that the numbers they are tracking for his kidney function were a little better today than yesterday, so he seems to be moving in the right direction.

    Thanks to all for your thoughts, prayers and concerns.

    -Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met with Ed for probably an hour this evening. Medically, he appears to have stabilized and his creatinine and BUN numbers (kidney function indicators) are improving. He told me he was not in pain. That said, he also seemed emotionally discouraged by his turn of events. I can say, as a kidney transplant recipient myself, that depression can accompany kidney disease, so there may be other complicating factors.

    Eric, Stuart, and Brian - I can tell you your contact with Ed means more to him than he can adequately express to you. Please don't be discouraged if he's having a bad moment when you talk with him. The three of you and Jeanne were foremost in his mind as we spoke.

    David Cole

    ReplyDelete